Tuesday, September 29, 2015

"Two Boys Kissing" by David Levithan



I don't remember how I found out about this book, but somehow it landed on my radar. The premise looked simple enough, the story of two boys looking to break the world record of a continuous kiss. But this book is so much more than that, and I was delighted to discover all the layers exposed with each page turned.

As I started reading, the narrative style was not connecting with me. I was afraid that after all I was not going to enjoy the read. But once the characters were introduced, and I better understood where the narrators were coming from, it sort of clicked. And then, what a book.

This book was written two years ago, and in such a short time things have moved forward a lot. But this book does not necessarily deals with the rights of gay people, rather the struggles of youth trying to discover themselves and being accepted by those around them.

In a certain way it puts into perspective many of the feelings that are felt when coming out to non-accepting parents, the self-doubt of transgenders, the promiscuity of a teenager that uses dating apps, the hazing by same-age peers, and the downward spiral that some of these problems lead to. At the same time we find hope, the happiness of finding love, or even rediscovering love. And above all this, the voices of past generations serve as a sort of color-commentator that add depth and a different perspective.

One of my favorite lines in the book was: "This is what we don't admit about first kisses: One of the most gratifying things about them os that they are proof, actual proof, that the other person wants to kiss us." If that does not give you goosebumps, you should really find a new love and experience the joy of a first kiss.

Hopefully this story can reach the eyes of young men that are feeling alone in their struggles. We have come really far as a society in the fight for equality. There's still a long road ahead, but just like the kissing boys, it will take a lot of courage and sacrifice to walk it.

The only reason I did not give this book a five-star rating was because of the awkwardness created by some of the comments from the "disembodied" narrators. I will still highly recommend this publication.

Finished on: September 28, 2015
Days reading: 4
My rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment