Tuesday, September 29, 2015

"Descending Son" by Scott Sheperd



I had this book sitting in my iPad for over a year and a half, not because of a lack of interest, but rather a lack of time to read it. Other books got in my way before I resumed this read, but then I kind of rediscovered it. And I'm very glad I did. 

"Descending Son" simply put is a vampire novel, however it brings a different perspective borrowing from the classical lore that is assigned to this mystical creatures. In this case we have a man that is brought back home to see his ill father, just to get involved in a supernatural struggle that will threaten his life and change the way he looks at the world forever.

The introduction of words like "civatateo" and the Mexican vampire culture brings the element of freshness to the story. The author knew how to keep his cards well hidden, and even managed to sneak in a nice twist toward the end. The pieces fell almost perfectly in this tale, which was a nice surprise.

On the other hand, there were moments when I was close to losing my faith in this story. Certain characters are just annoying, or their intentions are simply hard to relate. In the end, it was something that was easy to overcome (maybe because I'm a sucker for vampire stories.) 

Finished on: September 24, 2015
Days reading: 9
My rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment